Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Fine Translator

Summer 2000


Tim has a wonderful translator that he met at a job fair in Guangzhou. He is 30 years old and his English name is Ben. After going through many a translator that non-English speaking people in the Personnel department hired for him, Tim wisely went and hand picked his own. Ben recently told me how he happened to be at the job fair that day.

A good friend invited Ben to accompany him to this job fair so they could get a chance to visit a bit. Although Ben had a job he enjoyed and was not interested in changing, he went to be with his friend. When he got to the fair, he said he soon noticed Tim , who although is an intelligent and gentle looking person, he also towered over everyone else. Ben decided that maybe he would interview for the job with Tim. As it turned out, Ben was Tim's #1 choice. Ben told me that as soon as he interviewed with Tim, he knew the real reason he had come to the job fair. The Chinese have such a sweet way of expressing themselves sometimes. I told him how Tim had come home from the interview and called me and told me how he had met this man named Ben and he was his #1 choice. Ben was very touched by this.

Tim chose very well. Not only is Ben's English very good, but he is an intelligent, responsible, kind person with an excellent sense of organization. Many a time when he senses confusion he tries to explain the Chinese way of thinking. When I have asked him to help me learn to say certain lines in Chinese he always gives me gracious ways of expressing myself. I know this not due to my great knowledge of the language, but from the responses I get when I use Ben's lines. I have had many an interesting conversation with him about politics, philosophy, and relationships. I always look forward to visits with Ben.



No comments: